Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Realizing a dream: first step forward

My husband quit his job this month and I'm 100% supportive. 

Jacob has had dreams of owning his own business all his life and has been writing and researching his business plan to launch a brewery for more than a year now.

It's time for big steps forward.  I'm not nervous because if there is one thing I know about Jacob Landry, it is that he makes things happen.  We've also approached this step very seriously, saving and preparing to live without his income while he works to launch Urban South Brewery.

If you know anything about craft breweries, you know they are a rapidly growing industry.  And if you know anything about New Orleans, you would imagine this would be a city with several locally owned breweries.  You'd be wrong on that point.  New Orleans, and the South in general, have been slow to take ownership of this growing market.

Jacob likes to create.  He was the vision behind our home renovation, he's the mastermind behind the "Landry Farm," and I benefit regularly from his canning, baking, and cooking projects.  He home brews, but he won't be the brewer at Urban South.  He's recruiting a seasoned brewmaster for that role.  He will be heavily involved in sales and building a local brand.

He gave notice at his job earlier in July and has started meeting with potential investors over the last few weeks.  We are excited at his early progress and I look forward to watching him realize his dream.  I'm not naive to the responsibilities and pressures that inevitably must come from building your own company, but I think they'll be more than worth it to see my husband fully employing all his skills and giving our children a model that you have to be bold to follow your dreams.

Much more to come on this exciting chapter!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Courtney and Jacob,

I'm so very proud of you for this milestone decision, and I promise to be as supportive of you as I can in all of the ways that I can as you write this new chapter in life. I know that there are countless friends who feel the same way, and so as you go forward, know that we're right there with you.

With love,
Rob

Unknown said...

Courtney and Jacob,

I'm so very proud of you for this milestone decision, and I promise to be as supportive of you as I can in all of the ways that I can as you write this new chapter in life. I know that there are countless friends who feel the same way, and so as you go forward, know that we're right there with you.

With love,
Rob