Saturday, January 21, 2012

17 weeks

17 weeks pregnant - 1/21/12

The weeks are ticking by! Big news of the week was that I felt the baby move for the first time :) I've really been looking forward to this, but wasn't sure when to expect it. I didn't feel Jack till between 18-19 weeks, but last Saturday (16 weeks) I thought I felt the baby at two different points but wasn't sure. Then Sunday, during Sunday School, I felt a popcorn-popping like feeling 3 times in the same spot a few seconds apart - definitely a baby! For the next couple of days, there were more "was that the baby?" feelings, but then yesterday and today I've had more definite feelings. It will be awesome for Jack to be able to feel the baby - he talks into my belly still daily, so it would be great to have the baby kick him back at some point.

I know subsequent pregnancies pop sooner and it seems like other moms feel like they look bigger, but I can't get over the fact that I'm going to be pregnant for more than 5 months! I feel like that doesn't jive with the belly I'm already sporting! I'm hoping it's just a fluke this week, but my back has started to hurt when I'm walking or been on my feet for a while. I know I didn't have this pregnancy symptom till several months later last time, so I'm going to work on some back exercises to see if I can strengthen my back since I know I've got quite a bit of growing still to do!

See pictures below for comparisons between last time and now. In my mind I feel like I'm a lot bigger this time, but maybe not so much?

17 weeks pregnant with baby #2
17 weeks pregnant with Jack

Week Seventeen Stats:

How I know I'm pregnant: Hungry! Serious baby bump; backaches, and movement!


Diet: Everything is yummy right now! (I had been holding on for this moment during those difficult first two months!) There was the Mediterranean food at a dinner we went to this week, the Mexican food we got last night at Felipe's (yum!!), this new cheese I bought from Whole Foods, these coconut cookies Jacob bought me,
and this awesome-looking goat cheese and apple King Cake we just bought at a bakery. (There was also a lot of fruit and whole grains, for the record.)

My healthy pregnancy intentions for last week (how I did):


1) Plan healthy dinners for my family and make sure my hunger urges have healthy foods around to satisfy them. (I cooked 2 nights and we had events two other nights so I felt good about my meal planning this week. I haven't been overindulging in sweets in this pregnancy up until this week when those dang coconut cookies came into my life, but other than that I did well.)

2) Keep doing Bradley exercises: Kegels, pelvic tilts, tailor sitting and squats (Only the pelvic tilts as relief for my backache)

3) Join the Tulane gym thanks to Jacob's student discount! (yes, though brother Jack did not make it a smooth first visit as he cried most of the time :( - he used to love going, so hopefully it was just the fact that he had skipped his nap)

My healthy pregnancy intentions for this week:

1) Go to the gym twice

2) Do back strengthening exercises + do my Bradley exercises 4 days

3) Be very well-planned for my solo airplane trip to SC with Jack so it doesn't turn into a stressful experience (NERVOUS about this trip! I've done it before but I wasn't pregnant and Jack wasn't a very big and willful TWO!)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I definitely felt like I popped right out with baby #2, and it hasn't stopped. I keep joking with my doctor about twins or something, but I am assured there is only one in there. No worries; you look awesome!

Good luck with the plane ride! I wish we were going to be around to hang out! :-(